[Cialug] how to discover what device your path is on

Jerry Weida jweida at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 20:52:20 CDT 2005

You can issue a 'df -k' (or 'df -h' if you system supports it). If you are
on /var/spool then look for an entry that says /var. This will tell you the
device that directory sits on. If you don't see an entry for /var then it
probably is part of the root filesystem, /. Then you just check the device
that this sits on.

i.e.
[user at host ~]$ df -h
/dev/md0 2.0G 121M 1.9G 7% /
/dev/md3 25G 423M 25G 2% /home
/dev/md1 7.9G 885M 7.0G 12% /usr
/dev/md2 40G 895M 39G 3% /var

In this case, the /var is on /dev/md2. Your mileage may differ.