[Cialug] Apple and Intel

John.Lengeling at radisys.com John.Lengeling at radisys.com
Wed Jun 8 09:53:56 CDT 2005

FYI, way back when...circa 1987 Microsoft had a version of MS-Word
(version 2 or something) which ran under UNIX.

I purchased it for an AT&T 3B2 computer running SYSV for word processing
in the admissions department at a university.

johnl

"Nathan C. Smith" <smith at ipmvs.com>
Sent by: cialug-bounces at cialug.org
06/08/2005 09:34 AM
Please respond to
Central Iowa Linux Users Group <cialug at cialug.org>

'Central Iowa Linux Users Group' <cialug at cialug.org>
cc

Subject
RE: [Cialug] Apple and Intel

Here is one more stupid question and then I'm done with the Apple-Intel
thing.

OK, so Apple Builds Mac OS 10 for Intel, applications are compiled to run
universally on PPC and Intel.  That means the next build of Microsoft
Office
is basically running on Unix on Intel.  How big of a jump is it then to
have
Microsoft Office running on another *nix?  The pretty face on OS X is
proprietary yes?  How hard is it to duplicate or emulate, are there
already
project to do it?  Could MS license the relevant portions just for their
applications running on *nix?

If I take off my tinfoil hat for a minute it almost looks like Apple is
giving Microsoft inroads to putting their cash cow on *nix.

-Nate