[Cialug] Debian 3.1 Sarge is Released

Theron Conrey theron at conrey.org
Tue Jun 7 07:41:41 CDT 2005

I gotta say Barry's on point.  the net install disk is only ~150 megs
and after the initial setup and declining any type of package selection
I'm only an apt-get update && apt-get install x-window-system-core gdm
gnome-core synaptic mozilla-firefox mozilla-thunderbird
gnome-volume-manager xchat totem beep-media-player away from a usable
"base" system.  everything else I need  can be added later.  This at
least gets me "reconnected"  Later I usually do the gimp gtkam gthumb
etc. for grapic and photo use. and a few other things.

Knoppix comes with alot of stuff.  But if you downloaded the inital disk
(disk 1) of the inital installer (debian) and have internet access you
can after getting to your desktop (or before you CLI goons) and add
internet repositories easily so that you won't need the extra cd's,  but
if you are going to do that, just use the netinstall anyway.  Either way
(all three actually) work it just boils down to how someone *likes* to
do it.

Theron