[Cialug] free links on wiki sites, was Installfest thought

D. Joe Anderson deejoe at raccoon.com
Sun Jun 5 11:24:28 CDT 2005

On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 08:11:44PM -0500, Josh More wrote:
> > I set up a Wiki page for this project. Lets put some ideas together.
> > http://www.cialug.org/ewiki/?id=OpenSourcePresentation
>
> I have adjusted the presentation page to make it a bit more flexible.
> As I have learned by rolling this wiki out at work:
>   * Unlike other other wikis, ewiki allows you to use bracket style
> links too. As this makes page names more intuitive, it is recommended
> that you use this style.

All the wiki engines I've used to any significant extent support
so-called "free links," what you call here "bracket style
links".  In particular, Usemod, the wiki engine that wikipedia
started on, uses [[ ]] for free links.  MoinMoin uses [" "] to
delimit free links.  I'd be surprised if mediawiki (usemod's
successor at wikipedia) and phpwiki, among others, did not also
have provision for this style of link.

>   * Remember that once you make a link, that is the name, so it can't be
> used for other pages. Avoid using generic names.
>
> Also, I have found it useful at work to have a search and RSS feed off
> the main page.  Kevin, let me know if you want those features and if you
> need assistance setting them up.
>
> --
> -Josh More, RHCE, CISSP
>  morej at alliancetechnologies.net
>  515-245-7701

D. Joe Anderson         http://www.etrumeus.com/~deejoe
"DRM [...] is to copyright law as a machine gun on
a motion detector is to real estate law"  -- Don Marti