[Cialug] incomplete installation

Tad Anhalt tja at netins.net
Wed Jul 27 22:24:27 CDT 2005

David Courard-Hauri wrote:
> The computer cannot recognize the g++ command, so I guess I didn't have
> my make flags right. If I try to compile my cpp code, I get the errors:
>
>  > gcc: installation problem, cannot exec 'cc1plus': No such file or
> directory

   I don't know specifically about SUSE, but on most distributions
installing the "gcc" package gets you the c compiler.  You usually have
to install other front ends seperately.  You may want to fire up the
package installer (YaST?) and make sure there isn't a specific package
for g++.  While you're there, check for a package that contains
development headers.  Sometimes those are packaged seperately as well.

   You could always use a LiveCD as a temporary workaround.

http://icfpc.plt-scheme.org/live-cd.html

Check out the included packages link, I think it's got everything you
require.  (X, emacs and the rest of the kitchen too).

Note the package layout for gcc/g++.  I imagine that SUSE is similar,
maybe the list will help you work out the problem on your current distro.

ii  g++            3.3.5-3        The GNU C++ compiler
ii  g++-3.3        3.3.5-12       The GNU C++ compiler
ii  gcc            3.3.5-3        The GNU C compiler
ii  gcc-3.3        3.3.5-13       The GNU C compiler
ii  gcc-3.3-base   3.3.5-13       The GNU Compiler Collection (base package)
ii  gcj-3.3        3.3.5-12       The GNU compiler for Java(TM)
ii  gdb            6.3-5          The GNU Debugger

HTH,
Tad