[Cialug] Content management system for artist

Tom Poe tompoe at fiai.net
Wed Jul 27 16:53:25 CDT 2005

Academician Kula offered the following on 07/26/2005 08:41 PM:
> On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 08:32:06PM -0500, Mark Hesseltine wrote:
>
>>I have someone who contacted me about setting up a website. This would
>>be a site that would publish a daily cartoon, but also have a store
>>presence setup for selling prints, other original artworks, etc.
>>
>>What would the LUG recommend for a backend system that would be easy
>>for an artist-type (creative, but maybe not technically advanced) to
>>keep updated with new cartoons.
>

> I'd suggest looking at various online comics and see what they
> use. The first one that sprang to mind is www.keenspot.com,
> which provides no details of how they work at a quick glance,
> but which looks to be used by a large number of artists who
> don't seem to be all bitheads.
>
> No idea about the store presence, though.

Hi:  Couple thoughts, if I may:

How about a site that:
1]  Uses www.cafepress.com for shopping cart with credit card features,
and it is free
2]  Makes it real easy for artists to attach licenses for purpose of
Internet "tagging"; info at www.creativecommons.org
3]  includes automatic RSS feeds (RSS is used generically for a variety
of "news" feeds in this instance)
4]  makes interactive commenting by visitors easy
5]  lends itself to effective search results strategy (see SONG STORM
for proven example)
6]  Makes it easy for artists to register their works in a reputable
repository www.archive.org , which, in turn, aids in marketing strategy
development by artists

We put up a model of what we think future music portals might look like,
and this model should provide excellent fodder for comics site(s) as well.

Hope this helps,
Tom Poe
Open Studios
Charles City, Iowa, USA