[Cialug] PayPal security fraud

chris129 at cs.iastate.edu chris129 at cs.iastate.edu
Mon Jul 18 16:36:49 CDT 2005

Allen,

E-mails like that are dirt-common.  I get them for Citibank (I think) all the
time; since I've got Citi on my boycott (sick of phone calls) list I know I
don't have an account there ;).

General rule is.
Is the e-mail addressed to your name, proper, nickname, something that's
definitively you and something you'd probably say was your name:  Then it might
be real.  If not, pitch it.  Of course, mailing lists and friends with bad
e-mail etiquette are obvious exceptions.
Companies do not, aside from html mail, have bad e-mail etiquette.

I just noticed you addressed your e-mail :).

--Chris