[Cialug] VNC

cialug@cialug.org cialug@cialug.org
Fri, 28 Jan 2005 19:56:43 +0000

Windows doesn't support the idea of display, whereas Linux/X does.  I don't know
if multiple people can connect to the same display or not on X.  One feature I
use is multiple VNC servers running at different resolutions.  I put this in my
/etc/services file:

 #
 # VNC Servers
 #
 vnc-640x480x8 5950/tcp
 vnc-800x600x8 5951/tcp
 vnc-1024x768x8 5952/tcp
 vnc-1280x1024x8 5953/tcp
 vnc-1600x1200x8 5954/tcp

 vnc-640x480x16 5960/tcp
 vnc-800x600x16 5961/tcp
 vnc-1024x768x16 5962/tcp
 vnc-1280x1024x16 5963/tcp
 vnc-1600x1200x16 5964/tcp

 vnc-640x480x24 5970/tcp
 vnc-800x600x24 5971/tcp
 vnc-1024x768x24 5972/tcp
 vnc-1280x1024x24 5973/tcp
 vnc-1600x1200x24 5974/tcp

 vnc-640x480x32 5980/tcp
 vnc-800x600x32 5981/tcp
 vnc-1024x768x32 5982/tcp
 vnc-1280x1024x32 5983/tcp
 vnc-1600x1200x32 5984/tcp

Then I put this in /etc/xinetd.d/Xvnc:
service vnc-640x480x8
{
    protocol = tcp
    socket_type = stream
    wait = no
    user = nobody
    server = /usr/bin/Xvnc
    server_args = -inetd -query localhost -once -geometry 640x480 -depth 8
-deferupdate 0 -alwaysshared -interface 192.168.0.1
}

Replicate this for each resolution and color depth you want.

On the client, you'd specify the last 2 digits of the port as the display.  For
example, for a session at 1024x768x24, I'd specify a display of :72.  This comes
in handy since I connect from my desktop at 1024x768, and my laptop at 640x480.

--
Tim W.