[Cialug] open files

Renegade Muskrat cialug@cialug.org
Thu, 27 Jan 2005 07:07:31 -0600

I don't know about a system-wide setting, but for an individual login
session you can do "ulimit -n 4096", where 4096 is the number of files
that should be available. On my machine that only works as root,
however.

At 04:49 PM 1/25/2005 -0600, you wrote:

 >I'm trying to remember what is the command or parameter setting that
 >allows
 >Linux to have more files open?
 >I think that is what I mean - maybe file descriptors?  And how do I
 >allocate
 >more?
 >
 >Would something like this be right?
 >
 >echo 16384 > /proc/sys/fs/file-max
 >
 >Kernel is 2.4ish.
 >
 >Thanks.
 >
 >-Nate
 >
 >Nathan Smith  McKee, Voorhees & Sease, P.L.C.  515.288.3667
                                                -- Dan
             "I'm still sane on three planets and two moons."
       Daniel Ramaley                  3118 Cottage Grove Ave Apt 8
       dramaley at spatulacity dot cx        Des Moines, Iowa 50311
       http://www.spatulacity.cx/                    (515) 271-5233
        WARNING: REDISTRIBUTION OF THIS MESSAGE MAY BE IN
                 VIOLATION OF APPLICABLE COPYRIGHT LAWS.
                 THIS MESSAGE NOT GUARANTEED Y-TO-K COMPLIANT.