[Cialug] Adhesive

David Stout cialug@cialug.org
Fri, 21 Jan 2005 17:14:40 -0800 (PST)

--0-5285490-1106356480=:46111

I haven't been following this thread very close, but I have used mayonnaise to remove stickers from glass. It may also work on plastic. Just dab it on, let it soak for a while then add lettuce and tomato...........wait, wrong recipe! Then gently scrap away with cloth, fingernail, or plastic scraper.

David Champion <dave@visionary.com> wrote:
Lee wrote:
> Well, it's finally happened. I've found an adhesive left over from a sticker
> on a PC case that I can't remove. The old standbys don't seem to get rid of
> this stuff. Does anyone know if the off the shelf PC cleaning products
> disolve adhesive? It's a glossy case so I want to be carefull about using
> anything to harsh on the plastic.
>
> Thanks!

I used to have refirb computer equipment (along w/ Chris Van Cleve, also
on this list). Some things to try:

Rubbing Alchohol
Lighter fluid
Goop off (J.R. mentioned already)
Citris based cleaners
409 Cleaner (went thru GALLONS of that stuff)

With the exception of Alchohol - which evaporates quickly, the others
you need to use a lot of patience with... let them sit for a while and
work at it.

Another trick... if you have a lot of ballpoint pen marks on things -
hairspray will dissolve it instantly. Just make sure to spray it down
with something like 409 right away, or it will leave a dried laquer.

DON'T use acetone products like fingernail polish remover. It will
dissolve most plastics.

-dc

David Stout
Business Forms Analyst & Student