[Cialug] Adhesive

D. Joe Anderson cialug@cialug.org
Fri, 21 Jan 2005 13:03:01 -0600

On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 12:41:39PM -0600, kristau@kristau.net wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 11:44:12AM -0600, David Champion wrote:
> >
> > Just don't mix cleaning fluids. Mixing Ammonia with (???) other common
> > cleaning fluids can create poisonous gas.

> I believe ammonia and household bleach can give of massive
> ammounts of ammonium chloride gas.  Very nasty indeed.  There
> is an urban legend that an elderly lady mixed these while
> cleaning her house and it killed her.

<chemist>
Ammonium chloride is a salt.  I don't know its exact LD50, but
I'd expect it to be pretty innocuous.  The stuff that you hear
about getting produced from the use of bleach plus any number of
other types of cleaners is chlorine gas.  As in Cl<sub>2</sub>.
As in a green cloud of nastiness, WWI chemical warfare-type
stuff.
</chemist>

See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorine

--
D. Joe Anderson         www.etrumeus.com/~deejoe
"DRM [...] is to copyright law as a machine gun on