[Cialug] Question about ssh over ssl and clever firewalls.

Don Cady cialug@cialug.org
Fri, 21 Jan 2005 11:39:36 -0600

> True indeed.  I'm not purporting that this is a standard or even common
> thing -- just possible.  Taking the path of least resistance, most
> ultra-paranoid net admins would likely just whitelist all their "trusted"
> ssl sites, thus negating the need for a firewall rule like this.  If
> you're trying to run an ssh connection over ssl and you aren't on the
> "trusted" list. . .
>
> It would be interesting to see what such a firewall rule would do in a
> production environment.  Would there be false negatives, so to speak, on
> legitimate ssl connections?  Might be a good topic to explore at the next
> meeting if anyone is interested.  Set up a firewall, craft some rules and
> have lug members try to hit a gaggle of ssl sites through it.
>
> later,
> kristau

It'd need to be a real gaggle of sites, and even then it wouldn't be
'production', as some of these places discussed could have inter-business
SSL connections (as well as ssh,vpn,etc) between them. That said, I'd love
to see it. It's another thing I haven't yet dove deep enough into in linux.

Don