[Cialug] Adhesive

David Champion cialug@cialug.org
Fri, 21 Jan 2005 10:39:14 -0600

Lee wrote:
> Well, it's finally happened. I've found an adhesive left over from a sticker
> on a PC case that I can't remove. The old standbys don't seem to get rid of
> this stuff. Does anyone know if the off the shelf PC cleaning products
> disolve adhesive? It's a glossy case so I want to be carefull about using
> anything to harsh on the plastic.
>
> Thanks!

I used to have refirb computer equipment (along w/ Chris Van Cleve, also
on this list). Some things to try:

Rubbing Alchohol
Lighter fluid
Goop off (J.R. mentioned already)
Citris based cleaners
409 Cleaner (went thru GALLONS of that stuff)

With the exception of Alchohol - which evaporates quickly, the others
you need to use a lot of patience with... let them sit for a while and
work at it.

Another trick... if you have a lot of ballpoint pen marks on things -
hairspray will dissolve it instantly. Just make sure to spray it down
with something like 409 right away, or it will leave a dried laquer.

DON'T use acetone products like fingernail polish remover. It will
dissolve most plastics.

-dc