[Cialug] Google Rankings

Dave Crouse cialug@cialug.org
Fri, 14 Jan 2005 16:08:37 -0600 (CST)

I've worked for two years now to get my site indexed well on google. It's
a painstakingly slow process to say the least. Inbound links are good, but
like it was mentioned before, the "quality" of those inbound links count
also, if you get inbound links from sites with higher PR ratings than your
own you will see some improvement, I believe this is to prevent people
from setting up "doorway" pages by the thousands and thinking that will
bump them up, it won't. Google changes the way they index fairly regularly
just to confuse SEO people and keep them from trying to "beat" the system
so to speak.

The best way I have found is to create content on a regular basis, forum,
weblog, or just changing the static page around. Another good method is to
create content for other websites (with better PR than your own) and to
submit/post it there with links BACK TO your original article on your own
website.

Bottom line, there is no quick fix, the best method seems to be forgetting
about the PR and the SEO stuff and just create content that changes once
in awhile.

That said, I use my meta-tags help for the "other" search engines, plus I
just plain like adding the no-parse tag for M$.  :)  Probably isnt' even
needed, but I put it on every page :)

(hope your not using an html email client-if you are, you might not see this)
------------ snip --------------
<head>
linux users." />
group." />
------------ snip ----------------

I've ended up with some pages having a PR6 and one a PR7 value placed on
them, but that seems to fluctuate from week to week, I kind of gave up
worrying about it after hits from the google search engine results hit
about one every 5 minutes. I revamped the site design a bit, and google
changed the PR because I changed the entrance page to default to something
else, but that's rising again now too.

Google is the top dog now, but i wouldn't forget about msn, and some of
the other search engines either, once upon a time google wasn't top dog,
someday they will be replaced, well, one would assume anyway. Change is
inevitable :)

-----
<head>
<title>OSIS Home</title>
</head>
-----

Looks like you need "some" improvement in the meta-tags, at least that's
mho, your milage may vary.
-------------------------
Sorry, no information is available for the URL www.osis.us

    * If the URL is valid, try visiting that web page by clicking on the
following link: www.osis.us
    * Find web pages that contain the term "www.osis.us"
Google.
Results 1 - 2 of about 23 for "+www.osis.us". (0.39 seconds)
-------------------------

Looks like you "might" need to submit to google if you haven't already.

DO NOT SUBMIT your url to google more than once !
I find it best to get the google spiders to index new sites by putting the
url in front of them on a heavily indexed website.  Forums are the best
indexed of most sites, as they have constanly changing content and are
GREAT for posting something (really doesn't matter what as long as you
have a link going to your website), this "tricks" the spiders into
visiting your website, and you get indexed much faster than if you
actually bothered to "submit" your link to google directly.

Also, link exchanges DO work.... not the goofy kind with the banner ads ..
but actual text links on say your main page. I use a block with the term
Affilliates at the top, then several text links to websites that
reciprocate that on their main page. It does work as I google tracks back
the link to my site and gives me credit for inbound links. Sites similar
to yours are always prefered.

Well, I hope that helps some. Good luck.

Dave Crouse