[Cialug] Slightly OT: MythTV motherboard question

David Champion cialug@cialug.org
Tue, 11 Jan 2005 18:28:49 -0600

Bailey, Jonathan C wrote:
> I'm looking at building a MythTV box and was wondering what everyone thought for a motherboard option. I'd like to build Socket A and on a MicroATX board. I'm thinking of something like the Chaintech 7NIF2 which has onboard S-Video out. Should I go for a board with onboard S-Video out or go for a cheaper board and use an add-on graphics card?

That would be a good choice - the nForce2 IGP chipset has good tv-out,
and the sound processor is quite nice. It's even capable of doing some
gaming - roughly equivalent of a GeForce 4 MX.

If you're going to put this in your entertainment center: When building
your case, choose something that's going to be quiet. Some people assume
one small fan is better, but that's going so have a high-pitched whine.
If you need fans, look for a large diameter, low RPM fan that moves the
same amount of air.

The "ultimate" way to do a mythtv system is to have the encoder/server
in a closet or basement somewhere, and have a fanless box, like the
"Hush" from mini-itx.com in your entertainment center. This is, of
course, very expensive.

-dc