[Cialug] [NEWS] War driving reveals vulnerable wireless networks

Claus cialug@cialug.org
Mon, 10 Jan 2005 09:20:46 -0600

On 1/10/2005 7:15 AM, reinstall hell wrote:
> http://www.wcfcourier.com/articles/2005/01/09/news/top_story/ee43d35dbbb5671786256f830083ce55.txt

One problem is end-user education.  I just bought my first wireless
access point and the documentation of it really doesn't mention what
security protocol is best but instead it says to hide the SSID which
from my limited knowledge doesn't really provide any security.

My question also is why the AP manufacturer don't enable encryption by
default with a random preshared password string.  That way the end user
at least has to go in and read the key before being able to use it.
Most people live with the rule "if it works don't touch it" which also
applies to APs and those do work out of the box without touching them.

Finally one also has to accept the option that some people actually want
to give people a chance to access the Internet for free to check e-mail
and such.  I'm considering something in that regards.  Of course if that
should happen the speed would need to be throttled so I still get most
of the bandwidth.  Also I'm not sure what my neighbors would think of
all the parked cars in front of my house. :)

   Claus