[Cialug] Fragile sound support in Debian

Renegade Muskrat cialug@cialug.org
Sat, 08 Jan 2005 09:56:23 -0600

Thanks for the response. After sending my initial message in this
thread i found some newsgroup postings (i think to debian-users, though
that may be incorrect) about lots of people finding the same problem
with the most recent kernel upgrade to Sarge. It turns out that some
patches were applied to the kernel that causes its symbol table to
change, which broke lots of external modules. People were complaining
most about alsa and nvidia modules. Since it is a known bug (i think
classified as release-critical) it will probably be fixed soon. Once it
is fixed, i think i'll hold the kernel and alsa packages so this
doesn't happen again. When sound has been broken before it has usually
been fixed within a week or two, so i wouldn't expect to have to wait
much longer. If i do, then i may try building alsa manually. So far
i've been avoiding building anything manually because i don't want to
subvert the packaging system (i've done that before on several
non-Debian systems and eventually ran into problems; since i'm planning
on keeping the current installation for several years i don't want to
do anything that would cause problems later).

 >	ALSA has to be built to match the kernel you are using.  It seems
that
 >you are upgrading the kernel without having a matching version of
alsa
 >to go with.  Just get the alsa source package and build a version of
the
 >package to match your kernel.
                                                -- Dan
             "I'm still sane on three planets and two moons."
       Daniel Ramaley                  3118 Cottage Grove Ave Apt 8
       dramaley at spatulacity dot cx        Des Moines, Iowa 50311
       http://www.spatulacity.cx/                    (515) 271-5233
        WARNING: REDISTRIBUTION OF THIS MESSAGE MAY BE IN
                 VIOLATION OF APPLICABLE COPYRIGHT LAWS.
                 THIS MESSAGE NOT GUARANTEED Y-TO-K COMPLIANT.