[Cialug] A good domain name Registrar?

cialug@cialug.org cialug@cialug.org
Thu, 06 Jan 2005 22:48:50 +0000

I've used lowcostdomains.com and active-domain.com.  The biggest problem I had
with lowcostdomains.com was their security.  All you needed was an account with
them and you could manage *any* domain.  Yeah, two guesses on how I discovered
that.  After that incident, I started looking.  Since then, they've fixed their
security issue, but I just couldn't stay with them.

Active-domain.com is ok, my biggest problem with them was I was using them to
forward my mail (e-mail sent to my domain would forward to a real address).  I
started not getting my e-mail.  Turned out a lot of places block e-mail from
their servers.  If your not doing mail forwarding, they're not too bad.  Their
communication isn't the greatest, but for $10, what do you expect?  I like the
fact that I can set up more than just "www", and they'll forward to another
page.  They do both frame forwards and direct forwards.  The bad thing about
frame forwards is you can't set your own favicon.ico.  But, you can hide your
heirarchy from the average joe user.  I also like that I can set up a CNAME
record so no matter if I ftp, ssh, or http to that site, it gets to that
machine.  A nice way to get to your system(s) without having to remember your
ISP's longer name.

I've thought about switching to a different registrar too, but I've never been
able to get a list of things other registrars do.  I e-mail these registrars and
they say "sure, we can do that."  But then I read elsewhere that they can't.
Maybe this would be a good project.  If everyone who has a domain name wants to
send me a list of the things their registrar provides, I'll write it up and
either send it out to everyone, or put it on a web page somewhere.  To keep this
project from flooding the list, e-mail me off-list.

--
Tim W.