[Cialug] Network Layout

Sam Callahan cialug@cialug.org
Thu, 6 Jan 2005 11:37:17 -0600

> Well, that's what all the documentation is saying but what exactly is
> the WRT54GS doing differently?  Because the gateway mode also works when
> connecting the WAN port to another router/network while DHCP and NAT is
> enabled on the WRT54GS.
>
> Specifically for my case I'd be interested if there is any difference
> between the gateway and route mode when I use the WLAN and LAN ports
> while having the WRT54GS connedted to my local LAN via one of the LAN
> ports and not the WAN port.  Do the LAN ports act like a switch, hub, ...?

>From what I get from a quick scan of the docs in gateway mode anything not
for the local lan (switch ports or wireless) gets sent out the wan port. In
router mode anything not for the local lan (switch ports or wireless) goes
out the wan port using dynamic routing or static routes you define. In my
case I have a linksys router with 4 lan (switch) ports with the wan being my
dsl connection. I have a wrt54g connected to this router using one of the
wrt54g lan ports along with 2 servers. The wrt54g is basically a switch that
happens to provide a wireless connection along with lan ports. I don't have
anything connected to the wan port.