[Cialug] Alternative for Microsoft products?

D. Joe Anderson cialug@cialug.org
Tue, 4 Jan 2005 14:07:28 -0600

On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 11:38:44AM -0600, Korver, Aaron wrote:
> Coming from the thread regarding Visio.
>
> These are the products that I have found to be comparable to Microsofts.

> Adobe Photoshop ---> The Gimp http://www.gimp.org/

Not a Microsoft product.  Perhaps you meant "proprietary".

Scribus is touted as a page layout program, to sort-of fill the
niche occupied by Pagemaker in the proprietary world.  there's
also sodipodi in this category.

For 3D model building, the killer open-source app is Blender.

Kino for video editing.

I've dorked around with Scribus and Blender and sodipodi a bit,
but not with Kino, since my hardware's a bit limited.

--
Joe