[Cialug] Advice on a replacement box in the Ames area

Barry Von Ahsen cialug@cialug.org
Tue, 04 Jan 2005 14:11:17 -0600

Stephen Hawkins wrote:
> Barry,
>
> On Tuesday 04 January 2005 09:23, Barry Von Ahsen wrote:
>
>>There is the ISU surplus sale on Wednesdays.
>>http://www.public.iastate.edu/~centrals/isusurplus.htm
>
>  I'm not sure of its status with the holiday and the break, but it's an
>
>>option.
>

> Thank you very much for the info.  I called the number and got a recording
> with times.  It did not say anything about them being closed for the holiday.
> I am new to the area and did not know about this.  Have you been there
> before?  If so how does it work?  The last place I went that had something
> like this was Lawrence Livermore labs.  They charged you by the pound, and it
> was cash, check, or money order.  Lots of the stuff, nobody could figure out
> what it was.  But there were some great bargans there.  I got 600 feet of
> high quality, brand new, 90 cents a foot coax for $20.00.

I haven't been there in about 2 years (since before they moved to the
"new" building), but it was first come, first served and the prices were
marked.  Sort of hit and miss with the computer gear, just depends on
the week. Last time I was there, they had a couple of stripped Onyx's
and a few dozen DecNet hubs, and I picked up a Sun pizza box for $1.25.
  I know a few AmesFUG members have gotten some decent machines.

-barry