[Cialug] [cialug]small linux

cialug@cialug.org cialug@cialug.org
Sun, 2 Jan 2005 18:30:57 -0000

I think the "mainstream" distros are targeting higher-end machines,
because that's what people want to use. You can get a cheap PC with a
2+ghz processor for $400. That's pretty amazing, really. In the late 80's
and early 90's, it was easy to spend $3k on a nice PC -- and that was
about 1/10th of the computing power & storage of that $400 PC.

I've been running Mandrake 10.1 with the 2.6 kernel on a 266mhz PII w/
128mb RAM, and it runs KDE and FireFox just fine. I've found that the 2.6
kernel feels a lot faster on low-end hardware than 2.4. While that's not
as low-end as what Dan's looking at, by today's standard, that's a pretty
slow computer.

There are a lot of distributions geared towards lower end systems, and
even imbedded devices. I don't have a lot of experience with them. Have
you looked around at http://distrowatch.com/ to see what's available?

-dc

Don Cady <doncady@bigfoot.com> said:

> [rant]
> Software creep; This is something that has been worrying/discuraging me
> lately. When I first looked at linux, you could load it on an old pentium
> and expect reasonable response. The ability to keep your hardware longer
was
> one of the advantages over windows. Now it seems the bare minimum is a PII,
> and will soon be a PIII. Only one hardware generation better, how is this
> much better than windows?
> [/rant]
> Has there been any discussion of this among the top of Linuxdom?
>
> dh- Have you tried your usual cadre of damn small, feather, and puppy?
>
> Don

its a