[Cialug] Troubleshooting Linux (Fedora Core 2) Install

Andrew Lietzow cialug@cialug.org
Sat, 1 Jan 2005 10:50:25 -0600 (CST)

If you can read this line, your email software does not support this format.
--MyFaMiLyMiMeBoUnDaRy02292000

Dear Cialug'ers,  (please email direct to me as well as to list),
I'm attempting to install Fedora Core 2 on a new server.  The first time I used this set of CD's, they worked fine, so I don't think it's a media problem.

Here is what happens.  I boot via the CD-Rom.  System loads vmlinuz and initrc.img files, and the O/S gets loaded into RAM.   System appears to load my Adaptec Driver (AIC7XXX?) fine. Then, I get a blue screen for quite a while, followed by a screen of gibberish.  Looks kind of like cyrillic characters or what you get on a modem with a baud rate issue.

I tried swapping out the video card (ATI Rage IIC-PCI) with a Nvidia Card.  I'll try another plain jane Trident I have around here and I'll swap out the keyboard in case it doesn't like my PS/2 to AT-Din converter cable.   But, other than this, anyone have any ideas on what to try next?    I could take down another computer and try to load it there, which is my next logical step but thought I'd ask here to see if anyone has any ideas.

TIA for any hints,
Andrew in Des Moines

Get your own family web site at www.MyFamily.com!

--MyFaMiLyMiMeBoUnDaRy02292000--