[Cialug] Iowa Municipal Telecom Legisation

Michael Osten cialug@cialug.org
Tue, 22 Feb 2005 17:05:09 -0600

On Feb 22, 2005, at 4:43 PM, Dave J. Hala Jr. wrote:

> I don't agree that a having a municipal service would limit choice.

If a municipal service can operate at a loss subsidize by tax dollars
(which most of them do) how could you possibly expect competition?

> Yes, the telco environment isn't the most open, but it is more
> "socialized" than a municipal ISP.

Hardly.  Teleco is regulated, but is still operates in a competitive
market with competitors (in areas that are capable of producing profit,
some areas are not) and are forced by the government to open their
networks to the competition. (see ILEC and CLEC).  A municipal ISP
would be a government entity subjected to whatever rules they fancy.

--
Michael Osten
http://www.bleepyou.com/~mosten/pgp.txt