[Cialug] Backups with rsync

Academician Kula cialug@cialug.org
Sun, 20 Feb 2005 03:32:44 -0600

On Sat, Feb 19, 2005 at 08:21:08PM -0600, Jonathan Bailey wrote:
> I'm currently using rsync to do a backup every night. I'd like to do
> incremental backups, just storing the changed files every backup cycle.
> I'm thinking of a full backup on Sunday, and incremental every other day
> of the week. I know you can use --link-dest with rsync, but I don't want
> all the hard links. How can I make it back up only the changed files
> (and structure)?

You might use find with the appropriate options to find all files
changed since a certain time, and feed that list to rsync. Newer
versions of rsync have a --files-from flag, which just takes a list
of files to copy.

I am curious why you don't want hard links --- I've been using rsync
with hard links to do backups for a while now and it seems to work
well for me. Knowing a bit more about your situation may give us ideas
for you to try.

--
Thomas L. Kula | tkula@io.com | http://www.madscientistresearch.net
Mathom House upon the Canw, The People's Republic of Ames