[Cialug] Audio Recording

Kenneth Ristau cialug@cialug.org
Sun, 06 Feb 2005 15:49:00 -0600

Stephen Hawkins wrote:
> CIALUG,
>
> I am going to read, and record my reading, for a blind friend.  I would like
> to use my computer instead of a tape recorder and then burn the recording to
> a CD ( or CD's where necessary).  Has anyone done this, or done any recording
> like this?  And if so do you have any recommended software or techniques?
> These are probably not recordings I will distribute, although I have the
> author's permission.  These recordings will be for the most part, for one
> friend who because of his eyesite problems cannot read.
>
> Thanks,
> Steve

I will second the Audacity recommendation.  I've not used it for voice
recording, but I did use it successfully to convert audio tapes to MP3
format for my MP3 collection.

If your friend has a CD player that supports the MP3 format, I would
recommend using that instead of a standard CD.  You will be able to fit
many, many more hours of audio on it.  If not, consider using CD-RW's
that you can use over and over again.  That way, you can record a few
CD's, give them to your friend, then record over them when he is done
with them.  This is assuming, of course, that he does not need to keep a
permanent archive of the recordings.

later,
kristau