[Cialug] Qwest DSL

Dave Weis djweis at internetsolver.com
Mon Dec 26 21:07:31 CST 2005

On Mon, 26 Dec 2005, Kevin C. Smith wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-12-26 at 15:24 -0600, Dave Weis wrote:
>> On Mon, 26 Dec 2005, Kevin C. Smith wrote:
>>> History: I upgraded from Qwest's DSL Deluxe 1.5Mbps/896Mbps service
>>> to their Prime service 3-5Mbps/896Mbps.
>>> Result: With Deluxe I was getting at least 1.5Mbps down and 950Mbps up.
>>> Now I get 2.5Mbps down and 500Mbps up. The router reports
>>> 3072Mbps/640Mbps.
>>> Question: I didn't expect the upload to be dropped by the upgrade.
>>> Is there a technical reason for this, or should I be giving them a
>>> call.

If the router reports it as the speed that is what the DSLAM on the other
end is set for. Either way we would have to get that changed. Sometimes
they do need to lower it to make higher speeds reliable.

> They will not. They say that the premium package has a lower upload then
> the Deluxe package. If you read the website it looks like the same
> upload; I mentioned this, but they weren't willing to admit that.
> He also stated the that Premium gives up up to 3Mbps. I mentioned that
> the website stated 3-5Mbps. He didn't believe that either.

It should be the same upload as 1.5 meg if the line will support it. This
is a grep | sort | uniq of my DSL connection emails to show the ranges:
SPEED 1024 Kbps/1536 Kbps
SPEED 1.024 Mbps/1.024 Mbps
SPEED 256Kbps/256Kbps
SPEED 640Kbps/1.536Mbps
SPEED 640Kbps/3.072Mbps
SPEED 896Kbps/5.120Mbps
SPEED 896Kbps/7.168Mbps

They aren't always consistent but you can usually force them to be
consistent.

> Dave, want a new customer?

You bet, send me your home number off list and I'll get it moving.

--
Dave Weis
djweis at internetsolver.com
http://www.internetsolver.com/