[Cialug] Upgrade questions

David Champion dave at visionary.com
Wed Dec 21 12:12:27 CST 2005

Josh More wrote:

> For workstations, however, you need quick access to new features.  This
> means
> prompt minor-version updates (security still matters!) and fast
> major-version
> updates.  Support is less important.  I recommend OpenSUSE, Fedora Core,
>
> and Ubuntu for this use.  Mandrake likely fits here too, but I've not
> used it lately,
> so I will let Dave weigh in.

I love Mandriva a desktop OS. For a Server OS, the only thing I don't
like is the frequent full upgrade issue. They have now switched over to
a yearly release schedule (they would previously release a new version
about twice a year).

However, as a web developer, it's nice to have access to the latest /
greatest versions of your tools, and Mandriva does a pretty good job of
that.

For the out-of-town co-located servers we administer, we tend to use
Debian now because it's a little easier to keep updated. But we run
Mandriva on our in-town servers.

-dc