[Cialug] OT: laptop criteria

David Champion dave at visionary.com
Tue Dec 20 16:12:22 CST 2005

Optical drive options. Do you need CDRW? DVD?

Most don't ship with floppy drives, which isn't a big deal to most
people. You can get an external USB floppy drive for under $20.

Ports - Many laptops don't have serial of paralell ports any more.

Disk speed, if you're doing anything very disk intensive... Many laptops
ship with 4200 rpm drives - because they're quite, cool, and use less
power. But if you want performance, you'll want to get a 5400 or 7200
rpm drive.

There was recently an article on tomshardware.com about laptop HD
speeds. Even the fastest ATA laptop drive was much slower than a desktop
drive.

You will shortly (maybe already?) be able to buy laptops with SATA
drives, which should help a lot.

Graphics cards - not an issue for most office users. IMHO the shared
memory graphics cards are junk.

Oh, speaking of memory... Make sure you can order a relatively large
amount of memory on ONE chip, so you can add more on a 2nd chip later if
needed. Many entry level laptops come with a small amount of memory on 2
chips like 2 x 128mb, so to upgrade it, you usually end up throwing that
all away.

-dc