[Cialug] Upgrade questions

Dave J. Hala Jr. dave at 58ghz.net
Tue Dec 20 11:38:36 CST 2005

Are you having trouble getting patches? Are you having version issues?
Are you going to have these issues in the near future? (1yr?)

If not, I think that old saying goes: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

On Tue, 2005-12-20 at 11:33, Stuart Thiessen wrote:
> Hi! I wanted to ask a question that is surely a newbie question ...
>
> Ok, I have a server running SuSE 9.2.  I know that is an older version
> so I was thinking maybe I should upgrade it to newer specs to avoid
> patching issues, etc.
>
> My main question is this ... how do I really do upgrades of the
> operating system without it affecting my data and configuration files
> for different services?  Have they come up with a methodology by which
> you can update your system well and inform you of the gotchas, or you
> just have to read up on all the new versions and manually update each
> program that creates a gotcha situation?
>
> On my particular system, I have /, /boot, /opt, /usr, /home, /var all
> on different partitions. I am assuming if I upgraded to a newer version
> of SuSE or decided to go with a different distribution, that I could
> just update all the other partitions but leave /home untouched, right?
> What about httpd configurations or other server configs? I know I
> should back them up before upgrading, but then just restore them on top
> of the upgrade or is there a better system for managing these kinds of
> situations so that you don't have to go server by server and
> restore/fix everything?
>
> Does this make sense?
>
> Stuart

Open Source Information Systems, Inc. (OSIS)
Dave J. Hala Jr., President <dave at osis.us>
641.485.1606