[Cialug] Win XP question

Kevin C. Smith kevin at linuxsmith.com
Thu Dec 15 19:09:09 CST 2005

I think this is true; it can't be done.
I don't remember ever seeing anything related this in group policies. I
was looking for a hack of some sort here. Maybe, some regedit magic I
haven't thought of, etc. This seems like an such an obvious feature,
I'm a little surprised it isn't there. It should look like this:

When logged in as Administrator when you open the "Safely Remove
Hardware" window you get the option to choose a device and "hide"
from other users.

Oh, well. It's not that important so I'll move on.
Thanks for the thoughts.

On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 15:37 -0600, Jeff Davis wrote:
> You can hide the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon,
> but I don't think you can prevent something from
> being displayed in the list.
>

> Kevin C. Smith wrote:
> > Anyone know who to hide a piece of hardware, so that
> > it does not how in that "Safely Remove Hardware" list?
> > I'm using a second SATA drive for storage and don't want a user
> > to inadvertently disable it; which will happen I've done it myself
> > while remove a usb thumb drive. I don't want to hide the whole
> > thing; just the one drive. I've Google, but come up empty.
> >
> > <!-- This is a Linux list so, humor at my expense here. -->

Kevin C. Smith

"In the first place God made idiots. This was for practice. Then he made
Members of Congress." -- Mark Twain