[Cialug] Intrusion Detection/Prevention

Josh More morej at alliancetechnologies.net
Mon Dec 12 09:36:04 CST 2005

Personally, I think that IDS systems are helpful, not because they help
you
detect intrusions, but because the processes you have to go through to
set them up correctly force you to identify how your network operates.
True security is in undertstanding and minimizing risk.  This can only
be
done (IMO) through constant analysis and correction.  An IDS can be
likened to the canary in the coal mine.  If you try to work outside of
procedure (which will likely create a problem down the road), the IDS
will scream at you until you fix the IDS.  Hopefully, you also have
enough
discipline to fix your network docs at the same time.

An IPS system, however, seems be marketed from a standpoint of
you don't have to understand your systems, because this little box
will make all your problems go away.  I view these systems to be
little better than electronic snake oil that make it easy to ignore
risk.
Risk should either be eliminated or accepted.  If you ignore it, you
just
create problems for yourself later.

--
-Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP
morej at alliancetechnologies.net
515-245-7701

>>>smith at ipmvs.com 12/09/05 2:55 pm >>>

What does everyone think about Intrusion Detection/Prevention software
systems and products?

Anyone use anything?  I'm not sold on the concept - maybe I don't
understand
it.  If you lock everything down it shouldn't be an issue should it?
Don't
you want to know about new attacks that were/are successful?

-Nate

Cialug mailing list
Cialug at cialug.org