[Cialug] Network traffic?

David Champion dave at visionary.com
Thu Dec 8 19:42:31 CST 2005

I don't think so. It's all traffin coming in from the outside,
apparantly trying to make queries against a DNS server.

 From the iptraf log:

Thu Dec  8 18:57:26 2005; UDP; eth0; 68 bytes; from 64.202.110.61:22911
to <my ip>:53

Lots and lots of these, from various IP's. I've tried to traceroute out
to a few of them but didn't get very far, before I get to an ATT or
Mcleod router and time out.

It was eating up 360k of bandwidth on a T1 connection according to mrtg
before I killed the DNS server there.

Has anyone seen any advisories on DNS (specifically bind)? I haven't
seen any recent ones - since about June - and that was really just a DoS.

-dc