[Cialug] JAVA version woes.

Nathan C. Smith smith at ipmvs.com
Wed Dec 7 08:20:52 CST 2005

So I'm trying to install the community edition of Scalix on Centos 4.2.
After I installed Redhat-derived Centos 4.2 (everything) I removed the jcc
or whatever the gcc compatible java stuff is called.  Now if I say:
whereis java
java: /etc/java /usr/lib/java /usr/share/java

But

 java -version
-bash: java: command not found

Hmm.  So Java lives at: /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2_09

Seems to me I need to get it into the path somehow right?  Can anyone throw
me a clue on how to proceed so that when I type java -version from anywhere
I get

java version "1.4.2_09"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2_09-b05)

I'm not sure if a path change or a symlink is what I need...

-Nate