[Cialug] Snort in a switched network

Dave J. Hala Jr. dave at 58ghz.net
Tue Dec 6 12:37:40 CST 2005

My experience with the Dell switches is that they tend to be picky about
gb nic's, For example, my little baby 8 port gb switch didn't like the
Dlink nic's but it played nice with the Intel's.

:) Dave

On Tue, 2005-12-06 at 12:32, David Champion wrote:
> Speaking of switches... I'm loooking at getting a good but not too
> expensive 10/100/1000 managed switch. I'm leaning towards the Netgear
> GS724T :
>
> http://www.netgear.com/products/details/GS724T.php
>
> Newegg has them for $322.
>
> The other one I was thinking about is the Dell 3424:
>
> http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/pwcnt_3424?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd
>
> They're $374 (retail price).
>
> I've also used some Nortel / Baystack 10/100 switches, which were very
> good, but they're a bit pricey on their gigabit equipment still. They
> are over twice as much as either of the options above. Netgear is owned
> by the same people, but on the surface anyway, it looks like they've
> kept the products seperate.
>
> I've had bad experiences with HP and 3Com networking equipment, so I'd
> like to stay away from them.
>
> Anyone have any experience with these? I'm currently running a mix of
> Dell & Netgear, and both of them have been very well behaved.
>
> -dc

Open Source Information Systems, Inc. (OSIS)
Dave J. Hala Jr., President <dave at osis.us>
641.485.1606