[Cialug] Snort in a switched network

David Champion dave at visionary.com
Tue Dec 6 12:32:39 CST 2005

Speaking of switches... I'm loooking at getting a good but not too
expensive 10/100/1000 managed switch. I'm leaning towards the Netgear
GS724T :

http://www.netgear.com/products/details/GS724T.php

Newegg has them for $322.

The other one I was thinking about is the Dell 3424:

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/pwcnt_3424?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

They're $374 (retail price).

I've also used some Nortel / Baystack 10/100 switches, which were very
good, but they're a bit pricey on their gigabit equipment still. They
are over twice as much as either of the options above. Netgear is owned
by the same people, but on the surface anyway, it looks like they've
kept the products seperate.

I've had bad experiences with HP and 3Com networking equipment, so I'd
like to stay away from them.

Anyone have any experience with these? I'm currently running a mix of
Dell & Netgear, and both of them have been very well behaved.

-dc