[Cialug] Snort in a switched network

John.Lengeling at radisys.com John.Lengeling at radisys.com
Tue Dec 6 11:36:26 CST 2005

I have run Snort with:

-  a 100Mb hub
- a 10/100 hub (as long as all links are at the same speed).
- and using port mirroring

All of them worked just fine.

Jeff Davis <jeff at dynamictelecard.com>
Sent by: cialug-bounces at cialug.org
12/06/2005 11:24 AM
Please respond to
Central Iowa Linux Users Group <cialug at cialug.org>

Central Iowa Linux Users Group <cialug at cialug.org>
cc

Subject
[Cialug] Snort in a switched network

I want to deploy an old box as a dedicated Snort machine.
I'm looking at ways to do that properly in a switched environment.
 - Network Taps are expensive.
 - Multispeed hubs (e.g. 10/100) are really a switch with a small ARP
cache.
   Although it should still work, perhaps someone has done this and would
   be willing to share their experience.
 - SPAN / Port Mirroring / Roving Analysis, etc.
   The 3com switches I have are capable of SPAN, but I'm a little
concerned
   about degrading the performance of the switch with this approach.
   If anyone has tried this approach I'd really like to know.

-Jeff