[Cialug] Snort in a switched network

Jeff Davis jeff at dynamictelecard.com
Tue Dec 6 11:24:21 CST 2005

I want to deploy an old box as a dedicated Snort machine.
I'm looking at ways to do that properly in a switched environment.
 - Network Taps are expensive.
 - Multispeed hubs (e.g. 10/100) are really a switch with a small ARP cache.
   Although it should still work, perhaps someone has done this and would
   be willing to share their experience.
 - SPAN / Port Mirroring / Roving Analysis, etc.
   The 3com switches I have are capable of SPAN, but I'm a little concerned
   about degrading the performance of the switch with this approach.
   If anyone has tried this approach I'd really like to know.

-Jeff