[Cialug] #2 signed e-mails in 'that' client (was "This Seems odd")

Morris Dovey mrdovey at iedu.com
Sun Dec 4 11:12:03 CST 2005

|| Would someone help me understand why Jonathan's messages appear on
|| the list without message text and with a pair of (.txt and .dat)
|| attachments? Is there a parameter I need to change in my IE client
|| in order to read what he writes?
|
| The message was signed.  IE seems to be braindead when it comes to
| displaying signed (trusted) content using PGP/MIME, as oppsed to
| PGP-Inline Signing.

I'm in agreement about IE being "braindead" - and will chalk this up to
being one more instance of MS failure to keep up with the real world.
Like Chris Nielel, I don't get to choose the software used on the
machine being used to read the mail. My own (Linux enabled) machine now
lives in a somewhat remote shop where it's dedicated to controlling a
robot.

| If you want to read the content, use another e-mail too, or hit
| "reply" and the text will magically be inlined in your response, as
| if IE knew it was there all along.

On this machine, "reply" isn't showing attachments. If I open the .txt
attachment Win/ME brings up notepad (better than edlin, but not by much)
and displays the file. It's a PIA.

http://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-users/2003-September/020154.html

| ... poor guy's mother.

Agreed. I could see the attachments - and just needed some reassurance
that the .txt _is_ the message (rather than a quotation of some message
I hadn't seen).

Thanks.

Morris Dovey