[Cialug] raid/nas

Dave J. Hala Jr. dave at 58ghz.net
Wed Aug 31 10:11:05 CDT 2005

Whenever I'd build a server with a raid controller, I've always
purchased two identical raid controllers. I'd build the server, and then
make sure both cards work. Then I'd throw the second card up on the
shelf for "emergencies".   It saved my a butt a number of times.

Of course, things have changed in the last couple of years and I've
found that I can buy servers configured the way I want. They are almost
always cheaper than what I can build them for and they tend to be more
reliable.

If you need raid, you have a *need* for something reliable, so I'd buy a
system from a major vendor. If you need something that you can't buy,
build  it, and buy an  extra controller and drive when you build it. It
will save you some headaches later.

:) Dave

On Wed, 2005-08-31 at 09:55, John.Lengeling at radisys.com wrote:
> No problems with any power supplies.   We are using dual power
> supplies...doesn't make sense to purchase a reliable file server and
> not purchase dual PS or to not to put it on UPS power.
>
> Have only had 1 drive failure over the past 8 years of using NetApp
> (across 4 filers and 2 different models).  Of course I don't have TBs
> of data.  We are using their small filers in the 250-300G range.  We
> purchased these filers to store the source code to our products
> (company jewels) so reliability and data integrity are very important
> to us.
>
> Based on past experience with hardware based RAID cards (Dell PERC,
> AMI, etc, etc), I wouldn't trust the company jewels to them...I have
> seen too many blow up and needed to be recovered from backup.  NetApp
> measures their availability of these filers from the installed base at
> 99.99% (< 53min/year) and >99,000 years for Mean Time to Data Loss
> (MTTDL).  See http://www.netapp.com/tech_library/3065.html
>
> johnl
>

> "Nathan C. Smith" <smith at ipmvs.com>
> Sent by: cialug-bounces at cialug.org
>
> 08/31/2005 09:30 AM
>          Please respond to
>   Central Iowa Linux Users Group
>         <cialug at cialug.org>
> 'Central Iowa
> Linux Users
> Group'
> <cialug at cialug.org>
>                cc
>
>           Subject
> RE: [Cialug]
> raid/nas
>

> have you had any trouble with power supplies on NetApp machines?  Or
> are all yours dual power?  how do the drives stand up?
>
> -Nate

Open Source Information Systems, Inc. (OSIS)
Dave J. Hala Jr., President <dave at osis.us>
641.485.1606