[Cialug] help required (experienced Mac user but not a nerd)

Bryan Baker ka_klick at mac.com
Tue Aug 30 08:05:47 CDT 2005

Not sure why you contacted a LUG on this, but a quick look at Apple's
support site (using the search term "Tiger AFP" got this as the first
hit I believe (and it's right on point):

So, it's not a bug /exactly/, it's Apple dropping a feature. I'd say
your best bet is to upgrade the G3's to 9 or above, if you really
want to "see" them from a Tiger machine.

As the article states, the AFP client in 8.6 can see AFP over IP
servers but the AFP server in 8.6 (and below) cant provide AFP over IP.

If you want more discussion on this, I suggest you try a Mac users
group instead of a Linux users group. You can find the site of one
here in Des Moines in my .sig.