[Cialug] Alpha install

dave at visionary.com dave at visionary.com
Sun Aug 28 11:03:45 CDT 2005

On Sun, Aug 28, 2005, dave at visionary.com said:

> On Sat, Aug 27, 2005, Dave Weis <djweis at sjdjweis.com> said:

>>> Anyone know what the "SRM notation" of the ide cdrom in the DS10's is?
>>>
>>> http://www.debian.org/releases/woody/alpha/ch-rescue-boot.en.html#s-install-cd
>>>
>>> --
>>> 5.4.1 Booting from CD-ROM with the SRM Console
>>>
>>> Type
>>>
>>>     >>> boot xxxx -flags 0
>>>
>>> where xxxx is your CD-ROM drive in SRM notation.
>>
>> In the console type show config and it will tell you. I think it was dqb0:
>
> Sweet. I have the base install on, and it's getting all dpkg'ed up now. :)
>
> BTW - these things put out a lot of heat!
>
> -dc

Update: I got thru the dpkg run by the setup. I just selected Desktop and
Web Server instead of individual packages.

It defaulted to trying to run GDM at boot - I don't recall seeing an
option tell it not to run X at boot. The video card in this is an Elsa
Gloria Synergy, and I chose the generic VGA driver, but when it attempts
to start GDM, I see the Elsa BIOS message (the same as you see when it
first boots) and then it apparantly locks up.

How do I specify a runlevel at boot time? It comes up to a blue screen
that says "Welcome to aboot 0.9b". The only kernel choice that will boot
is option 0. I tried typing "0 runlevel=1" but it's apparantly not taking
the runlevel option.

-dc