[Cialug] DNS Issues

Jerry Weida jweida at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 19:38:55 CDT 2005

The 169.254 addresses are not just a Windows thing. That is a scope that is
allocated by IANA called the Automatic Private IP Addressing scope. Many
things are starting to implement it, windows was just one of the first. It
allows someone without networking knowledge to setup a small private network
amongst computers and still have them be able to talk without setting up
anything in networking (just DHCP.)
 It can be a pain, especially if you have a slower DHCP server and it ends
up triggering APIP before it receives the offer back from the DHCP server. I
know that in BSD that is a kernel tunable. I'm pretty sure that Linux would
allow the same kind of tuning.