[Cialug] DNS Issues

Stuart Thiessen sthiessen at passitonservices.org
Tue Aug 23 16:14:56 CDT 2005

I have been running the SUSE online updates periodically. I had no
problems until today. All of a sudden, email is holding up in the queue
and that was the clue that it was not able to use DNS to find the
servers to pass along the emails.  I did a ping and it pings to our BSD
firewall with no problem, but it cannot ping any name or ip address
outside the firewall.  All other computers on that network are working
just fine to get to the internet. Only this email server is messed up.
I restarted nscd twice to no avail.  I reset resolv.conf to point to my
DNS servers instead of theirs, but that didn't work. I tried pointing
it to the firewall, but that didn't work, then I just left it as it was
originally (which was working prior to today). I did restart nscd each
time I changed resolv.conf.

No updates have happened in about a week's time and the problem cropped
up today. So I don't think it is the result of an update.

Any other suggestions?  What is the log for resolv.conf?

Thanks,

Stuart