[Cialug] DNS Issues

Stuart Thiessen sthiessen at passitonservices.org
Tue Aug 23 15:57:36 CDT 2005

Ok, I have encountered a very strange issue .... DNS on one server was
working fine using Qwest DNS servers and all of a sudden this afternoon
it stopped working. I checked resolv.conf and compared it to our
firewall server and it is the same. The firewall server is doing just
fine with DNS queries, but not this other server. It handles email and
webmail from behind the firewall.  It can ping the firewall but it
can't ping outside with name or IP.  My next step is to check the
firewall, but no one else behind the firewall is complaining about
being unable to get out.  This is preventing the email from getting
out.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Stuart

This is SUSE Linux 9.2. I ran the updates recently on it.  I'm a little
confused as to what is going on.