[Cialug] scripting

Josh More morej at alliancetechnologies.net
Fri Aug 19 12:48:38 CDT 2005

I generally do simple scripts in bash.  Only bash, never sh or ksh or
csh or zsh...  I've been burned too many times by differences.  I do
more complex scripts in perl or ruby.  I use perl if: the task is
procedural and doesn't need to be cross platform AND have cpan
dependencies.  I use ruby if the task is work-flow related OR needs to
be cross platform AND has rubygem dependencies.

I also use NaturalDocs to document the scripts so I'm not looking at my
code six months later, thinking "what the heck was this idiot doing".

I also rewrite python and php scripts to perl and ruby, so they can be
maintained and understood.  While I have personal issues with python
(hate it) and php (good web language, but shouldn't be used elsewhere),
the larger issue here is standards.  By only having two "standard"
scripting languages, it's easier to break down knowledge silos and work
as a team.

--
-Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP
 morej at alliancetechnologies.net
 515-245-7701
>>> ragbrai65 at yahoo.com 08/19/05 10:04 AM >>>
I would like to know what most people use for a scripting language. I am
talking about general scripting nothing fnacy. Like admin tasks that
sort of thing.

David Stout
Business Forms Analyst