[Cialug] scripting

David Champion dave at visionary.com
Fri Aug 19 10:18:28 CDT 2005

David Stout wrote:
> I would like to know what most people use for a scripting language. I am talking about general scripting nothing fnacy. Like admin tasks that sort of thing.

Most people use Perl and shell scripts (bash, csh, ksh...). I would
guess 90% of *nix scripts are done in one of these. If you've only done
MS-DOS .bat scripts, it's really amazing what you can do with a unix
shell script.

You can also use Python, Ruby, PHP, C/C++, or whatever language you're
familiar with. RedHat / Mandrake use Python for a lot of the system scripts.

I've done a few scripts with PHP (you have to have the command-line
version), which is handy since I'm familiar with the language and you
have easy access to databases and such.

-dc