[Cialug]mandrake update

Dan Hockey icepuck2k at mchsi.com
Sun Aug 14 11:24:19 CDT 2005

This is what I've come up with this weekend trying to get mandrake
update to work since the urpmi fix didn't work either.
Mandrake update used the following url which doesn't seem to work.(which
is one of many)
but when I use mozilla the url works just fine.
http://mandrake.mirrors.pair.com/Mandrakelinux/official/updates/10.1/main_updates
media_info/synthesis.hdist.cz <- this file no longer exists on this page
and the other pages I checked myself.
when I try to update the following dialog shows up.

----------------------------------
starting download of 'synthesis.hdlist.cz from medium update_source'
-----------------------------------

depending on what happens next one of the follow will show up

--------------------------------------
it's impossible to retrive the list of new packeges from the media
'update_source'. Either this update media is misconfigured, and in this
case you should use the software media manager to remove it and re-add
it in order to reconfiguree it. either it is currently unreachable and
you should try later.
---------------------------------------
or
There was an error downloading the mirror list
couldn't connect
The network or the mandrakesoft website may be unavailable
please try again later.
Since I bought the mdk10.1 power pack version I was hoping to keep
things up to date for some time. I was also trying to fix this myself
without reinstalling.I was thinking of doing a clean install to try to
fix this problem, but the computer I tested this on wouldn't update
either.I also tried the 'update after installing' with the same results.
After looking at some different mandrake update pages(mainly http) it
looks like to me that they moved things around and the
'media_info/synthesis.hdist.cz' file is nowhere to be found.
At this point I've run out of ideas to try.
-dh