[Cialug] OT: PC Power Supplies

Mike Staver staver at fimble.com
Sat Aug 13 01:07:14 CDT 2005

I agree with you about throwing out the ones that come with the cases.
They are complete junk, and it's dumb to purchase a new board, cpu, etc
and use one of those. You're asking for trouble... and I *used* to be
like you when it came to Antec, I told everybody I know to use them...
that was until this year. The True series always works for me, but I
have serious issues with the SL line. I had an SL350 which when I used
it on a board, the board would "whistle". I chalked it up to the board
being the problem.  A week after I built the thing, the board died. I
RMA'd it, got a new one. Same noise, so I didn't want to chance it -
sent the board back right away and got a different kind by a different
manufacturer.  To my surprise, same thing happened.  Swapped out the
power supply, and all was well again.  I was shocked, but I thought
"hey, one bad one out all that I ordered, it's ok".  At work I then
proceeded to build about 10 machines, all with SL350's in them.  I ended
up taking back 5 of the 10 psu's and going with Thermaltake instead.
Thermaltake doesn't have the rep that Antec or Enermax do, but so far,
I've had no issues.  I've probably used around 20 of them now, all
working fine:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817153006

I'm using one in my home machine now as well.