[Cialug] UNIX

timwilson011 at mchsi.com timwilson011 at mchsi.com
Thu Aug 11 18:27:48 CDT 2005

Same can be said for other flavors of UNIX.  In my experience, HP-UX was
terrible, at least versions 7 and 8 were.  IBM, Sun, and HP got together and
came up with CDE, except HP called it HP-Vue, and you couldn't take your files
from HP to IBM or Sun boxen.  Love that cooperation!

I will have to give major kudos to HP's docs though.  I still have a set of
version 8 docs on my shelf.  If I have a ksh question, I don't bother looking at
the man page, I grab the HP doc.  AIX's man page for ksh, well, sucks.  Only 155
lines for ksh.  HP dedicates over 22 pages to ksh alone.  AIX tries to split it
up, but they don't tell you where to look for more info (such as 'man test').

--
Tim W.